|Type:||Contract to Hire|
Position: Senior VMware Engineer
Client: State of South Carolina
Location: Columbia, SC
Rate: $65/hr W-2, C2C-Yes
Duration: 12 months
VMWARE ENGINEER. EXPERTS ONLY. This job is 75% hands on,
Need a contractor that demonstrates an expert knowledge
of designing, implementing
and support of VMWARE solutions. This individual will
need to work with various
application and infrastructure groups to understand
requirements for each area of
the organization. Design documentation will need to be
produced documenting final
deployment details along with support procedures as
needed. Architectural technical
and documentation skills are equally important for this
General duties include effectively researching,
prototyping, and provide guidance
leading to solutions with our strategic direction
initiatives, that includes but is
not limited to monitoring system infrastructure and
security and assisting in
supporting disaster recover/failover scenarios.
Provide implementation and maintenance support on the
network and networked systems.
Team member that ensures the stability and integrity of
network, data and server
services through monitoring, maintenance, support, and
optimization of all server
and infrastructure systems. This individual has 24/7
on-call responsibilities shared
with the group.
- GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Troubleshoot and recommend technical solution.
- Develop workaround solutions as appropriate.
- Monitor and assess current systems and recommend
hardware and software enhancements
- Act as technical resource for other IT analysts and
business units by resolving
complex computer equipment and systems problems
- Diagnose and resolve problems related to hardware,
software, or operator error,
and resolve or repair
- Escalate complex problems to other groups, Help Desk,
or vendors for resolution or
for support under maintenance agreements; oversee vendor
- Install, configure, test, monitor, and maintain system
and application hardware,
software, and peripherals for users; install and
configure servers in collaboration
with WAN group
- Perform equipment and software upgrades
- Lead and execute small projects
- Maintain familiarity with current computer and network
- Adhere to corporate information security guidelines and
security among coworkers
- Qualified candidate will be responsible performing root
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
- At least 8 years experience in Information Technology.
- VCP certification required, or five years equivalent
experience in VMWARE
- Proven experience resolving problems in enterprise
environments with known issues
on both the SAN and Vmware front.
- Knowledge of Virtual Machine operation, strengths, and
- Experience with VMware ESX administration
- Creating architectural documentation for VMware and SAN
improvements based on
industry best practices.
- Capacity planning based on technical analysis research
- Up to date expert level knowledge on various Vmware
infrastructure product lines
(Desktop virtualization, SQL virtualization)
- Experience in monitoring infrastructure systems for
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication
skills a must.
- Able to conduct research into infrastructure issues and
products as required.
- Leading effective team meetings
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed, with keen attention
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Experienced hardware troubleshooting.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative
- Experience within a NIST and/or PCI environment.
- Experience and working knowledge of backup products and
- Experience with Change Management
- Ability to craft proactive and automated scripts and
- Support of web-based applications for internal
(intranet) sites and external
- Hands-on technical knowledge of network and server
- Working technical knowledge of current network
hardware, protocols, and Internet
standards, including TCP/IP, and DNS, DHCP.
- Experience in developing and maintaining documentation
for policies, procedures,
and best practices.
- HANDS ON experience analyzing, designing, DOCUMENTING,
and deploying large scale
virtualization and SAN environments
- Experience designing 99.9% uptime environments (HA and
DR experience required)
- Experience designing and supporting EMC storage,
including but not limited to EMC
NS-480, VNX 5700, and VMAX storage lines.
- Experience designing backup strategies for large scale
organizations based on best
- Experience with backup tools like AVAMAR
- Knowledge of software development lifecycles and
migrations from different
environments, such as development, production, etc...
- Expert on Windows Server 2008/2012
- Expert with Active Directory administration
- Experience with firewalls, web filters
- Experience with Projects operating under PMI
- BA, PM, QA certifications & experience
- Advanced in Windows Server 2008, 2012, Active Directory
- Current industry certifications for Microsoft,
Security, VMware, Brocade, Cisco
- EMC certified (Information Storage and Management
"EMCISA" and Backup/Recovery
"EMCBA" minimum) or five years equivalent
Apply to Job